Friday, January 23, 2015

Dilations & Rotations

Students in a previous Math Literacy class shared how transformations (8th grade geometry standards) apply to their interests in their last project for the class. I wanted to mix things up a bit with the next group of students and received some inspiration from my mother-in-law.  She introduced me to a quilting craft video about students creating their own rotational symmetry using their name.  Attempting to reflect some letters became challenging for some students, so I also offered students the option of dilating a word, name, or image.  Students presented their creations along with a description of how their image represents transformation vocabulary as well as what their inspiration was for the choice of color, words, letters, images, etc.  I saw several of these students showcase their designs at the end-of-year learning fair :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment